Sunday, January 30, 2011

Monosyllabic Teen

Son seems to have lost a vast portion of his vocabulary as most time he's capable of only uttering monosyllabic words - 'uummm, oh, hmmph, err, hah, k.....' No difference if words that emerged from my mouth flowed in the hundreds and thousands, still it will only elicit a singular response from Son. 

I know teen experts say it's perfectly normal for teens going through puberty to act such, as their hormones are creating havoc inside them. We parents, the virtuous beings, are advised to practise patience..... Definitely easier said than done! Whenever I want to engage Son in a conversation, only to discover it going one way after several attempts, I very much want to throw all the seemingly professional advice back in their faces! (Yeah! that feels good...........).

However, I am learning to keep my conversation concise, though dying to let on so much more. I let Son lead in conversation, attempting to flow with his topics and endeavor to lend my ears more.

Soon enough, there's no stopping him when he's on subjects close to his heart though nowhere near mine....!      

 

No comments: