Friday, September 24, 2010

Empty Orchestra

(From previous post.....)
Not wanting to appear overly protective, I gave Son permission to attend his friend's birthday party at Karaoke amidst much uncertainty. Of course I laid down some ground rules!
- no rowdy behaviour
- avoid expletive-laden songs
- focus on lyrics only
- order only soft drinks

Am I kidding myself into thinking everything would be followed to a T? Wish I could pound these into the head of  his friends as well, then again, perhaps their mothers already did.

I sat in my car for a while after dropping Son off, convincing myself  I had made the right decision. A second later, I bolted out and headed straight into the Karaoke, Son was nowhere to be seen, must have gone into a room.

Hmm, as I looked around, quite pleasant environment with a rather homey feel. Two big signboards stood out glaringly - NO SMOKING & NO LIQUOR! My trepidation ebbed slightly.

As I was leaving, one of  Son's friend, the organiser, came in with her mom. Mom gave me a knowing look and as if reading my thoughts, she said, "don't worry, I'll be here with them!"  Aha! all great moms think alike! Yeah!
                         
A puzzling title? 

From Japanese "kara" = empty/void + "oke" = orchestra.

The first karaoke machine was invented by Japanese musician
Daisuke Inoue in Kobe, Japan, in the early 1970s. 
After becoming popular in Japan, karaoke spread to East and Southeast Asia during the 1980s and subsequently to other parts of the world.


No comments: