Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ronaldo Wannabe

Son is a hard-core Manchester United supporter and at one stage, he was totally devoted to Cristiano Ronaldo. He hungrily soaked up everything in the news about Ronaldo and rarely failed to watch MU in action. At that time, he was totally immersed in football and was forever trying out Ronaldo's fancy footwork on the pitch. Number 7 became Son's sensational hot favourite.

Seeing his fondness, I succumbed to a quirky idea of mine - Ronaldo scrapbook. Meaning to surprise him, I stayed up late several nights to cut out pictures of Ronaldo that I could find in the newspaper sports pages. Not a difficult task securing his pictures as he was clearly the most talked about footballer then and photos of him donning MU jerseys inundated football sections.

Over time, I amassed a thick compilation. I visualised Son's bemused look when I hand him the pile and anticipated an atmosphere of euphoric excitement.

He was bemused indeed, stumped for words when I handed his excellency to Son. Clearly he was over the moon as he skimmed through the pile, his eyes grew larger with every view. I patted myself in glee.

When he finished with the last picture, he looked up, then dropped a bombshell. "Ronaldo is leaving MU........


 

No comments: