Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More To Treadmill Run

When Son managed to achieve his goal by completing a-10 km run on the treadmill, he was exhilarated. In the past there were several near misses, 8km, 9km but never 10 km as fatigue got the better of him that left him clearly exasperated.

A few years ago, Son wasn't really into running. He was contented with a 4-5 km run and doesn't see the need to strive further. I pushed him to go beyond this comfortable distance but he vehemently conceded enough is enough.  I was disappointed, I know his stamina wasn't optimized fully and he was capable of greater challenges.

Once, Son was on a treadmill next to a petite teenage girl. He towers over her. They started almost the same time. I caught Son glancing over at her display panel intermittently, checking on the distance she covered, I reckon. When the distance neared 4 km, the girl didn't show any sign of weariness and lethargy.  I could see Son toiling to maintain his pace but determination was written all over his face. I cheered him on mentally.

6 km, the girl was still keeping a steady pace but Son was clearly struggling and shortly, gave up. He shot the girl a side-glance as he alighted from the treadmill, unbelief showing in his eyes.

That was a turning point for him. Guess somebody's ego was badly bruised.....

   

No comments: